Insights Into Small Breed Dogs Show Why These Little Companions Need Extra-special Care
NASHVILLE, Tenn., April 23, 2013 – They’re easily spotted — poking tiny black noses out of bags, resting snuggly in arms and bouncing enthusiastically to greet friends. They’re small breed dogs, and while they might resemble miniature versions of larger canines, they have unique needs. To bring understanding into their finicky tastes and distinct nutrition requirements, The NUTRO™ Company, a leading manufacturer of natural pet food products with specific formulas for small breed dogs, is providing pet owners with insights into the big world of small dogs.
“A one-size-fits-all-dogs solution isn’t the best choice for small breed dogs because they have special needs — especially when it comes to nutrition,” said Preston Buff, Chief Natural Nutrition Officer for The NUTRO™ Company. “At The NUTRO™ Company, we want to help you give this special attention to your small breed by shedding light on the characteristics that are specific to their size.”
It’s A Small Dog World After All
With 49 percent growth in the natural small breed dog category, accounting for 31.8 million dogs, it’s clear that the demand for these pets outsizes their stature. The NUTRO™ Company has highlighted small breeds’ special traits, including:
- Finicky eaters — Research shows that small breed dogs are more likely to refuse a meal and are more inconsistent with the amount of food they consume daily.
- Miniature mouths —Because of their smaller mouths, the teeth of small breed dogs’ are more prone to overcrowding, which can lead to oral health concerns. Tartar is present in 53 percent and periodontal disease in 18 percent of small breeds 9 to 15 years old.
- Endless energy —Despite their size, small breed dogs have high energy levels, which mean a higher metabolism.
- Senior status —Since many small dogs live up to 20 years, they need increased antioxidant and nutrient support for their immune systems to avoid damage caused by aging.
For many small breed dog owners, there are no limits to how far they would go to keep their dog happy and healthy. Here are four simple tips from The NUTRO™ Company to keep in mind:
- Avoid giving small breed dogs table scraps to please their palates. Since they are already picky eaters, this will only make it harder for you to get them to eat the nutritious food they need.
- Choose a dog food that has high-quality ingredients, with poultry or meat as the first ingredient, to enhance the dry taste of kibble, such as NUTRO™ Small Breed Dog Food with a chicken & whole brown rice formula.
- Make sure you are feeding small breed dogs food that is correctly formulated for their age, like NUTRO™ Small Breed Adult Dog Food.
- To meet small breed dogs’ high energy needs, make sure they are getting the right amount of proteins and fats that will support their fast metabolism.
To further illustrate the world of the small breed dog, The NUTRO™ Company has launched a new infographic, The Big World of Small Dogs and Their Owners. The infographic tells a heart-warming and descriptive story about what makes these tiny creatures and their loving owners tick.
Food For Size
NUTRO™ Toy and Small Breed Products were made with small companions in mind, helping pet owners give their dog the right care while meeting specific health needs and personality preferences:
- Real chicken is the No. 1 ingredient, as well as other wholesome natural ingredients such as whole brown rice and sunflower oil, to please even the most selective palates, guaranteed.
- NUTRO™ Small Breed Dog Food with the DNADVANTAGE BLEND™ Formula features a unique blend of antioxidants that nutritionally rejuvenates your dog’s immune system.
- NUTRO™ Small Breed Adult Products are precisely formulated with targeted levels of protein and fat to match their energy needs.
- NUTRO™ Small Breed Dog Food kibble is designed to naturally help reduce plaque and tartar.
For more information on small breed dog products available from The NUTRO™ Company, to find out where you can buy NUTRO™ Small Breed dog food and to learn more about caring for yours, visit www.nutro.com. You also can get in touch on Twitter via @Nutro.
About The NUTRO™ Company
At The NUTRO™ Company, we have a long history of making great pet food — since 1926 in fact. And from the beginning, we’ve set the standard in pet food. What’s more, we’re constantly evolving our products with every nutritional advance or innovation, like ensuring they all have added vitamins and minerals.
NUTRO™ Small Breed Dog Foods are our latest example of nutritional advancement. Our products, high standards, long heritage and pet-loving people really make a difference. We make “The World’s Best Pet Food!”